Thursday, September 15, 2011

Discharge Date


My rehabilitation team meets every other week to discuss my progress and estimate my discharge date. This is a cross functional team that includes my physician, therapists, psychologist, and social worker. They each report on my progress and discuss what goals they would like me to accomplish before I'm discharged. This team approach to care ensures that each discipline is allowed to discuss the challenges and report on the goals as they see them. The goal of the team is keep me as an inpatient long enough to teach me all of the skills that will be necessary for me to be self sufficient for the rest of my life. Being self sufficient will allow me to return home and not be a burden on my family. Once discharged, I will still come back for therapy as an outpatient and continue learning additional skills.


The result of the meeting this week is that I will be discharged in 2-3 weeks.




On one hand, I can't wait to get home to my family, but on the other hand, I don't want to go home until I am as self sufficient as possible so that I don't become a burden to them. In the macro view, 2-3 additional weeks is just a small percentage of the time this entire ordeal has lasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment