Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Accident


I've often been asked if I remember the accident...

Many people know how dedicated I was to riding my motorcycle. Rain or shine, warm or cold, I was enjoying the wonderful feeling of riding. Depending on who you talk to, I might of been on the verge of obsessive.

Anyway, here is the story for those of you who haven't heard it.

April 10th, 2011 it was 34 degrees at 6:45am when I jumped on the bike to head to work. The forecast called for mid 50's by the afternoon so I expected a nice ride home. I had an uneventful ride until just before North Liberty on state road 23. All of a sudden, out of nowhere I see a truck in my lane headed right for me. I slammed on the brakes and veered to the right. (As the large skid mark left in the pavement confirmed) The further I traveled into the edge of the roadway, and then into someone's front yard, the truck continued to aim right for me. I couldn't seem to get away no matter how far I tried.

I remember the impact... I don't recall much pain, but I remember hearing a small sound like a twig breaking. (I assume that this sound was my spinal cord being severed) I remember flying through the air and landing in someone's front yard. I landed face down. The face shield was torn from my helmet and could feel grass rubbing my nose and face. (I thought to myself that the owner of this yard could have at least cut the grass a little shorter) I knew from my medical training that I should stay completely still until a cervical collar and backboard could be applied. A wonderful lady touched my shoulder and asked me if I was OK. I answered YES... Looking back that was a really dumb way to answer her... I was just hit head on by a 9000 pound truck doing 65+ mph... And I answer that I'm OK?

The second person to come to my side asked if she could call anyone for me. I hadn't thought of that and asked her to call Angie and I gave her the phone number. She asked for the phone number multiple times, evidently seeing me face down with bones protruding through my skin distracted her. I gave her the number one last time and explained to her that I was going to stop breathing soon. The people around me old me that help was on the way and to just hold on. I felt the last breath exhale and heard sirens in the distance. The rest is black and cold.

Here is a link to the news report:

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/Man_seriously_injured_in_motorcycle_accident_121563109.html

No comments:

Post a Comment