Wednesday, August 31, 2011

EMG?


I was informed today that I will be having an EMG on my left shoulder and upper back later this week. Since I didn't know anything about the procedure, I researched it... I shouldn't have.

Electromyography, or EMG, involves testing the electrical activity of muscles. Often, EMG testing is performed with another test that measures the conducting function of nerves. This is called a nerve conduction study. Muscular movement involves the action of muscles and nerves and needs an electrical current.

During EMG, small pins or needles are inserted into muscles to measure electrical activity. The needles are different than needles used for injection of medications. They are small and solid, not hollow like hypodermic needles. Because no medication is injected, discomfort is much less than with shots. You typically will experience a mild and brief tingling or shock, which may be a bit unpleasant.

Needles, electricity, and mild shock... Sign me up!





No comments:

Post a Comment