Saturday, October 8, 2011

Transition

This has been infinitely more difficult than I imagined...


- Watching friends and family labor on the garage and ramp without being able to assist them. I find myself wishing I could just carry a package of shingles or climb onto the roof to help position drip edge. I would even settle for helping grade the sand on the floor before the cement is poured, but my wheels won't move in the deep sand. I'm constantly struggling to find a way to be useful.

- Receiving e-mails and notes from the Engineering meetings at work, knowing that the doctor hasn't released me back to work. I hear the engineering projects that I worked on turning into production products and I want so badly to jump in and help with the transition.

- Standing (OK sitting) by while my wife takes care of the kids, grandpa, and now my needs. I struggle with the fact that I need help doing the simplest of tasks.

- Being driven around by my wife and having to wait while she assembles my wheelchair at each and every stop. I'm not a patient person, nor do I like having to be carted around.

I've got to be honest, this being restricted is not in my DNA and it's really begun to affect me.


Those of you that know me, know that I am not one to sit by and accept this as my fate. I'm already working out solutions for the challenges that I have run into so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment